CUBIT™ is a two- and three-dimensional finite element mesh generation toolkit for solid models. CUBIT's goal is robust and unattended mesh generation of complex geometries, scalable to millions of elements and thousands of parts. CUBIT™ is best known for its pioneering work on automated quadrilateral and hexahedral mesh generation, but also maintains robust triangle and tetrahedral meshing technologies. CUBIT™ follows a toolkit approach, offering a variety of meshing techniques, and infrastructure and algorithms for interoperability. The software is used for both production mesh generation and as a research testbed.
- Geometric Primitives: Brick, cylinder, cone, sphere, prism, torus.
- Boolean Operations: Unite, subtract, intersect, imprint.
- Web-cutting: Tools for cutting and shaping geometry designed to facilitate complex mesh generation algorithms.
- Geometry Operators: Remove, extend, replace curves and surfaces, midsurface. Imprinting and merging.
- Healing: Automatically cleans many cases of invalid geometric entities and topology resulting from translation or model creation artifacts (with ACIS kernel).
- Non-Manifold Topology: Curves and surfaces merged to form shared entities. Allows conformal meshing of complex assemblies.
- Virtual Geometry: Does not modify geometry representation. Composite and partition of curves and surfaces. Collapse curve, surface and angle operators.
- Solid Model: ACIS solid modeling engine from Spatial Technology. Facet-based geometry kernel developed by Sandia.
- Geometry Power Tool: Diagnose problem geometry. Provides interactive tools for clean-up and repair.
- Graphical User Interface: Point and click graphical selection and viewing. Cross-platform Qt-based environment.
- Power Tools: Provide interactive diagnostics and tools for cleaning up, meshing and verifying quality of a finite element model
- Immersive Topology Environment for Meshing (ITEM): Geometry preparation and meshing wizard
- Text Input/Output: All features available via command line.
- On-line Help: Browsable, HTML
- Journal Files: Echo, playback and batch mode.
- APREPRO: Cubit's scripting language.
- Python: Scripting language can be used to access internal Cubit functionality through API.
- ACIS sat, sab: Geometry import/export
- Neutral formats: STEP, IGES
- Facet formats: STL, AVS, facet
- Exodus II: native mesh format
- Abaqus, Patran : mesh and boundary condition export.
- NASTRAN BDF, IDEAS Universal, Dyna3D, Fluent: mesh format export only
- Translators: Patran, Abaqus, IDEAS and others.
- Exodus II: SideSets, nodesets and element blocks define generic loads and boundary conditions.
- ABAQUS, NASTRAN/PATRAN: interactive boundary condition definition and visualization